......for loudspeaker cabinet removable panels. Comments welcome.
Cheers, Marshall.:doh:
......for loudspeaker cabinet removable panels. Comments welcome.
Cheers, Marshall.:doh:
As noted, It's fine if dense enough and you can find it these days in strip form since cutting it in narrow strips can be a $%&@^. In the good ol' days, you could get all you wanted for free just by either asking for scraps from carpet installers or grab rolls of it from the curb where new carpet had been installed since the better carpets typically were installed over a high density felt pad. The downside to it is it's a wick for any moisture in the air, so not a good plan where humidity is high.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
I would think any decent fabric store would have felt. I wasn't thinking of something as thick as carpet padding....... carpet padding is usually a half inch thick! It only has to fill slight irregularities between two "flat" surfaces.
I'd want to do a bit better job installing it, where two pieces come together
![]()
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
Hmm, yeah, there was some lower density 3/8"-3/4" thick felt padding for certain types of carpet materials/weaves, but I was referring to the high density 1/4" padding. Regardless, the stuff shown tends to not seal well IME even when properly installed or any stapled down for that matter unless it's wide enough and the staples are well away from its edges. Maybe a double thickness?
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
I assumed the old felt stuff was the same thickness as the current foam padding........ I should probably know better than to assume that. I'm young enough that I've never seen felt carpet padding. Even the old padding I've seen was foam..... although, different than the modern stuff.
If not available from a local fabric store, or craft store (Hobby-Lobby/Michael's) I would think McMaster-Carr would have it. I've never ordered anything from them myself, but they are a favorite source for materials on another forum I belong to...... very fast service is always mentioned.
Hmm...... I just realized mah's not here in the US...... what about rabbit pelts..... don't you guys down under have a surplus of rabbits :-)
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
staples = bad, glue it down with a thin, even, brushed on coat of glue.
Check piano tuner supply houses for "Nameboard Felt", generally available in 3 thicknesses, 5/8 wide. It can also be found in self adhesive, but generally only in one thickness.
A better material would be some of the woven cloth that's used in the piano trade, but would be more difficult to find pre-slit into a usable width.
Another suitable felt, albeit a little thicker, can be found in the arcade trade, billiard felt.
I would also fully agree with GM, that depending on the climate involved, felt may be less than ideal. If i had to outsource, i'd look for a neoprene or silicone foam weather strip type material, and probably affix it using silicone or a tacky glue like Aileen's.
Also, real wool felt can harbor tiny vermin like moth larvae. I use felt because i work with it in the piano/organ trade and it's readily available to me as well as inexpensive, moisture/dampness is seldom a worry here in the great white northeast and i store it in a sealed cabinet treated periodically with para-dichlorobenzene which keeps the critters away.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
How big do you need??
You can buy gasket material in 1' squares from any decent auto parts store.
My preference is NEMA 4X (corrosive atmospheres) rated neoprene used to gasket doors, removable panels available in self stick rolls of varying width/thickness from any industrial electrical supplier worthy of the name, though the less expensive NEMA 12 rating (dust tight) is sufficient for a typical temp/moisture controlled room. In other than the USA these will probably be listed under its own set of standards, but they should have a cross reference.
Note that if you choose to use any type of neoprene or closed cell sponge insulation such as the cheap stuff sold to insulate around windows, etc., then the mating flange should be wide enough for the mounting hardware to be inside the gasket perimeter since drilling/screwing through it will tend to damage it enough to keep it from sealing well.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Bookmarks